Monday, October 6, 2008

Spotlight on: Macio Alston


Name: Macio Alston
Age: 34
Hometown: Born and raised in Milwaukee, Wisconsin. I’ve been in Colorado close to 20 years now though. Right now I live in Aurora.
An adjective that describes you: Fantastically Awesome. Just kidding…I’ll just go with handsome. Never mind that one is too obvious. How about – Focused, personable, determined, charming and funny.
When did you first become involved with CASA Advocates for Children? November, 2007
What is/was your favorite part of volunteering with CASA Advocates for Children? I enjoy each and every part of the “CASA adventure”. I enjoy the children, the parents, the courtroom setting, and the overall spirit of service. The children that I worked with (my case closed last month) are AMAZING. The opportunity to become part of a child’s life and make an impact is indescribable. I value the fact that the smallest gestures, as well as my time in general are very much appreciated. To pick a “favorite part” is tough, but I guess it would be the overall relationship that is created with the children and how much fun that leads to as it builds over time.
What has your work with CASA Advocates for Children taught you that you didn’t know before? This experience teaches me to appreciate the beauty of unexpectedness. No matter how much you prepare ahead of time you’ll never know how exciting the journey will be until you start driving down the road. I remember reading reports, memorizing names, and thinking of my “plan of action” before my first family visit. Only to have it go right out the window when the door opened and the kids starting jumping on my legs and showing off their toys. CASA gives me the opportunity to help others and learn a lot about myself as well.
What is something that you would want potential donors or volunteers to know about CASA Advocates for Children? You’ll never know the immense impact that you can make until you start the journey. The time and effort that you put into CASA is returned to you tenfold when you see the successes of the families and the smiles of the children. If you’re sticking your toes in the water right now my best advice would be to just “Jump In”…you won’t regret it.
A quote that you live by: “In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.” Bill Cosby


No comments: