Monday, October 20, 2008

CASA Spotlight: Judy Coover


Age: 66 years
Hometown: My family moved around a lot in my childhood, but I guess I consider Lincoln, Nebraska, my hometown.
An adjective that describes you: Quiet
When did you first become involved with CASA Advocates for Children? I was assigned my first case in 2001. In 2004, at my request, Denver County and Arapahoe County CASA organizations agreed that I could take a Denver County case; I am still these children’s CASA.
What is your favorite part of volunteering with CASA Advocates for Children? Sharing the happy moments with the children and helping them through the tough times.
What has your work with CASA Advocates for Children taught you that you didn’t know before? The ineffectiveness of our country’s child protection system, the number of children in the system, and how many children end up being raised in the system. Being raised in the system should not be an acceptable alternative. The children are the ones who suffer, and they did nothing wrong.
What is something that you would want potential donors or volunteers to know about CASA Advocates for Children? When you, in your CASA role, need help, the Advocates’ staff is there for you.

No comments: